Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hate-Reading Pitchfork

I like doing surveys because I'm not really very creative. So in the spirit of staleness and predictability, I appropriated one from Pitchforkmedia.com, where they ask pretentious and overrated musicians about (mostly music-related) things. Let's do this!

>> Favorite Songs from the Past Year
Hmmm, off the top of my head:
Batcat- Mogwai
Dig, Lazarus, Dig!- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Time To Pretend- MGMT
>> Favorite Older Songs at the Moment
Elton John- Rocket Man (I heard it on TV last night, so it's fresh in my mind.)  
>> Favorite New Band
This question is bad because "new" is so fucking subjective. You're the worst, Pitchfork.
But in the spirit of playing along, MGMT is probably the newest band in my collection.
>> My Dream Collaboration
To collaborate with me? Anyone, almost.
To collaborate with each other: Josh Homme & Jack White on a Desert Sessions record, Boris and Mastodon on a noise-metal record.
>> Favorite Song Ever
How could someone choose this? Here's a selection:
Merchandise- Fugazi
A Day In The Life- The Beatles
Teenage Riot- Sonic Youth
Tangerine- Led Zeppelin
Plenty For All- Hot Snakes
>> Best Recent Concert
The last one I went to was one of the best- Mogwai in LA. As of right now, that's also the nest concert I'm going to.
>> Last Great Film I Saw
Man On Wire
>> Last Great Book I Read
I'm reading Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's great. 
>> Favorite Piece of Musical Equipment
Mainly the versatility of my Gibson SG, but really any guitar- especially electrics plugged into a shitload of pedals and a fucking loud amp.
>> First Record You Ever Bought
You know, I don't really remember, and I was trying to figure this out the other day. The earliest one I can remember is buying the Nirvana cds of Nevermind and In Utero from my friend Lawrence for $10. He had decided he liked rap. But that was in like 6th or 7th grade, and there must have been some sooner. The first records I remember getting as a gift were: The La Bamba Sountrack, a Cars tape, and Michael Jackson's Bad.

>> Favorite Record Shop
Fucking Amoeba Hollywood of course. It's always crowded, but that's because it the world's best record store.

>> Favorite City to Play
Based on my extremely limited touring experience, I'm gonna say San Luis Obispo.
>> My Dream Merch Table
None, like Fugazi.
>> A Popular Artist I'd Like to Fall Into Obscurity
It's hard to be an "artist" when you are popular, but Diddy or Britney Spears fit, in the absolute loosest definition of the term. As for those who consider themselves "artists," I have to say Radiohead and Bruce Springsteen (sorry Andy). Oh, and Arcade Fire!
>> Obscure Artist I'd Like to Become More Popular
See above. I don't really want to live in a world where everyone listens to "obscure" shit, but I think Queens of The Stone Age should be more popular.
>> Strangest Display of Affection from a Fan
n/a, thankfully.
>> Best Purchase of the Past Year
Have to say the Subaru.

>> Best Thing I Did This Year
Engagement.
>> Favorite Venue
The Troubadour.
>> Favorite TV Show at the Moment
Too many. Arrested Development is the all-time best. Others: No Reservations, Lost, Classic Albums. Top Chef has lost much of it's appeal since Thumb-Head's win.
>> Favorite Video Game at the Moment
Temporarily gave up Zelda to focus on Wii Sports and Call of Duty: World At War. Now it's back to Zelda.
>>Favorite Radio Show
The oft-lamented Jonsey's Jukebox, and the newly reborn Harmony In My Head.

2 comments:

  1. You have a lot of tags on this post. I'm overwhelmed.

    The only one of those I can think of an answer to at the moment is the best/recent concert. Which would be TV on the Radio...from like 3 years ago. Yes, that's how often I get out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I hit the maximum tag amount, and had to remove a few even.
    Don't worry about getting out, looks like you have other things to worry about these days.

    ReplyDelete