Wednesday, October 31, 2007

This May Be Crossing Two Lines.

"People are nauseous about being perceived as the enemy. After Abu Ghraib, reasonable, rational people were saying the most despicable things about America. Imagine that. The country that not only liberated Europe but rebuilt Europe with the Marshall Plan. The country of Omaha Beach. The heroism of people who gave their lives for people like my dad. I mean, this is the United States of America.

And, by the way, whoever fixes that problem gets elected. People say, "Oh, it's all about the economy." This is the first time it's not. It's about turning that idea around. We're the United States of America, and we do not like being seen as the enemy.

And it's a wave. I think the next generation is going to roll right over us. There's a new kind of hard-headed idealism out there, which is not about "Let's hold hands and wish away the world's problems." People are ready to change the world one brick at a time. I really believe that."

So yes, that is a Bono quote. And yes, it was from The Worlds Most Overrated (By Itself) Magazine (Rolling Stone). But a good sentiment, nonetheless. I don't generally think "entertainers" should speak on political matters, but, due to my punkish background, believe in that right for musicians. So there: I have no problems with being a contradiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment